A Trip To Singapore + What I Ate




After almost 4 years of wishful thinking and dreamy planning of a Singapore trip, it finally came to fruition in November of last year. It was my first international trip, a milestone I got to share with my younger brother for which I'll be forever grateful. Between my father's clinical approach to vacation planning and my mom's disinterest towards all trips, especially of the abroad kind, there was plenty of drama and excitement to go around but I loved every minute of it!
One of the highlights of the trip was that we travelled solely by the Singapore MRT, the country's equivalent of the metro, or by foot, and didn't hail a single cab during the entire stay- a feat considered we were travelling with a 9 year old. This helped us get to know and understand Singapore and its culture so much better even if our trip itself was a whirlwind.

Consider this a blog version of the #latergram as I share some memories - meals that left an impression and scenes that will forever be imprinted in my mind from our time in the island nation.




Roaming through the streets of Chinatown at night.


On the second day of our trip we went to the Singapore Zoo and I found this bakery at the Ang Mo Kio station that had a scrumptious display of baked goods. I couldn't resist trying the Almond Custard (only for S$1.50!) and yes, it tasted as good as it sounds.








An attendant readies an order

Also at the Ang Mo Kio station was a food court serving an enviable spread of seafood and meats. Since it was too early in the day for me to tuck into a heavy meal, clicking a picture sufficed.



Nasi Lemak topped with a perfectly round egg

Mildly spicy but highly addictive Mee Robus

Our lunch at the Singapore Zoo cafeteria was as satisfying as it was delicious and Instagram-worthy. It was eaten in the company of critters, with peacocks casually strolling in between the tables. With serving portions more than enough for two people, we were secretly glad we didn't order too much. The lunch was topped by some salted caramel ice-cream courtesy Ben & Jerry's but both my brother and I were too impatient to click a proper picture.


On the third day of the trip we decided to go to Sentosa Island. Planning our meals was a task since Sentosa is quite expensive when it comes to food, not ideal for a family of four on a budget. So we worked up an appetite by going on all the rides at Universal Studios and had a small (exorbitant) lunch of good ol' pizza and pasta. Later, we dropped in at the S.E.A. Aquarium next door where an hour or two was spent basking in the calm that can only come from being surrounded by water and its wonderful residents.
For dinner, we pigged out at Vivo City's Food Republic to make up for our underwhelming lunch. My dad and I definitely bought more dishes than required but there was no room for regret as the delectable fare was polished off in record time. Heaping plates of Hainanese chicken rice, hokkien mee, grilled mackerel and innumerable sticks of sizzling satay were involved. Taking the MRT back to the hotel on a full stomach with aching limbs might have been a task later on but it was totally worth it.



Singapore's national dish Hainanese Chicken Rice

The spicy-sweet peanut dip that comes with the satay is addictive!

Over the course of the rest of the trip, we tried out many other dishes, though Hainanese chicken rice and satay remained constant.
One of the highlights was the pastries from Chateraise, a Japanese chain of pastry shops. Their fluffy uji matcha rolls and doriyakis were simply out of the world and I might have spent a major chunk of my allowance during the vacation on their cute pastries.

Fluffy Cream Roll White Peach at Chateraise




Don Don Donki, a 24/7 popular Japanese discount store had an impressive section for inexpensive packed lunches.

Una Jyu (baked eels over rice) at Don Don Donki

Omusoba (Yakisoba noodles wrapped in a Japanese omelet) seems like a good excuse to have eggs for dinner

An assistant chef hand cuts noodles which then go into your order of soup

Singaporean chicken wings get roasted over a live grill

The trip was everything I had imagined it to be and more. Even though I couldn't hit all the eating places and hawker centres I had wanted to go to, I still thoroughly enjoyed the experiences I did get to have. Singapore's proverbial cuisine cup runneth over, and I'm glad to have taken my fill. There is cheap good food left, right and center and my family and I ate our bodies' weight in the many, many dishes that the country had to offer. 
Singapore, you were good. 
Till next time.




Comments

Popular Posts